Novak is the author of New York Times and Wall Street Journal best-selling book, TAKING PEOPLE WITH YOU: the Only Way to Make BIG Things Happen. He offered his thoughts on leadership at the SHRM Annual Conference and Exposition, held recently in Orlando.
[Go here for failures 1 to 5.]
6. Failure to Pay Correctly
Yes, it’s the pay thing. Zandy’s danger zones are:
“It’s a case of perception vs. reality. The plaintiff perceives he (she) was disciplined, retaliated against, and harassed. The reality is different. He (she) was terminated for a legitimate, non-discriminatory, non-retaliatory reason by a professional, well-trained manager with supportive documentation.”
Keating encourages the boys to embrace their individualism, think independently, and pursue their passions. This leads them on a path of self-discovery that clashes with the rigid culture of the conservative institution they attend. Keating’s methods ultimately cost him his job, but they win him the respect and affection of his students.
How Do Your Pay Practices Stack Up Against Competitors?Find out by trying BLR's all-in-one website for compensation and benefits information, Compensation.BLR.com. This site gives you reliable salary information on thousands of jobs, localized by industry, state, and company size. Find the situation most like your own and you'll know what to pay and what benefits to offer, as well. Start Your FREE Trial Plus, enjoy all these added features:
- Annual merit pay increase forecast for your situation
- Thousands of prewritten job descriptions, policies, and checklists
- Plain-English write-ups on every major compensation/benefits law
- Hundreds of best practices white papers and news items, and a weekly ezine to keep you up to date
- "Ask the Experts!" Personalized answers to your e-mailed questions in 3 business days!