In the past year, Zappos received about 31,000 applications, and only hired about 1.5% of the applicants. This prevented the company’s small recruiting team from “working in a purposeful way,” according to Mike Bailen, senior HR manager. Thus, the onus here will really be on the candidate to make him or herself stand out from the crowd in a much less impersonal setting.
To successfully communicate, says Price (www.wellsaid.com), you have to learn to present yourself and your message effectively. You’ve got to know your audience members and tailor your content to meet their needs. And you’ve got to be sincere, natural, enthusiastic and passionate, maintain good eye contact, and be calm and polite.
Please participate in our brief survey, and see how what you are doing stacks up against what other successful companies are doing.
We’ll get answers to these questions and more:
- Who develops policies? Who has final approval of policies?
- How often are policies updated?
- Do you have a policy on social media background checks?
- What outside vendors do you use for background checks?
How Do Your Pay Practices Stack Up Against Competitors?Find out by trying BLR's all-in-one website for compensation and benefits information, Compensation.BLR.com. This site gives you reliable salary information on thousands of jobs, localized by industry, state, and company size. Find the situation most like your own and you'll know what to pay and what benefits to offer, as well. Start Your FREE Trial Plus, enjoy all these added features:
- Annual merit pay increase forecast for your situation
- Thousands of prewritten job descriptions, policies, and checklists
- Plain-English write-ups on every major compensation/benefits law
- Hundreds of best practices white papers and news items, and a weekly ezine to keep you up to date
- "Ask the Experts!" Personalized answers to your e-mailed questions in 3 business days!